Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Job Shadow Experience

I did my job shadow with my sister, Jamie Baker.  She is a Service Center Advisory Agent for MACU in West Jordan Utah.  Here are the questions I asked her while doing the job shadow.

v  What is your job like on a typical day?
My days are very busy with a wide range of topics, from issues to loans.  The problems I face deal with Member financial issues, unauthorized transactions, fees, refunds on fees and complaints.
v  How did this type of work interest you and how did you get started?
I had just left my previous company after 9 years and was really just looking for something different and full time.  I had heard good things about this company and thought I would apply.  I interviewed and was hired they trained me and I started working.

v  What do you like most about this company?
The thing I like most about the company would be the employee recognition.  I have great benefits and receive constant positive feedback.  I truly feel that this is the best job I have ever had!

v  Why do customers choose this company?
It is a Credit Union and non-profit.  We work for the members offering a lot more opportunity with lower rates, and higher returns.  Lower fees and more products for free.

v  Are you optimistic about the company's future and your future with the company?
Yes.  I feel very secure on my position the company treats me like I am truly an asset.  I do work hard and I do as much as possible so they continue to view me as such.  The company is very open as to where we are financially with the way the economy is.  They do not hide things, I am sure to some degree they are candy coated a bit, more to avoid employee panic.  Things are always talked about in meeting and we even have a member board meeting to that our members know where we stand as well.  They are a very open and honest company.

v  What are the skills that are most important for a position in this field?
I would say that the most important skill would be listening.  Being sympathetic and understanding are very important.  It is important to also know the products and what is in the best interest of the customer.

v  How would you describe the working atmosphere and the people with whom you work?
It is very professional, with high standards set.  There are a lot of really intelligent people that work here.  It is a very enjoyable place to work.

v  Is there flexibility related to dress, work hours, vacation schedule, place of residence, etc.?
Absolutely, I guess it can depend on what you are willing to give they are willing to return.  I personally would never ask for the day after a holiday a Monday or a Friday, off of work due to these being such busy days, but if something came up and I wanted to take Wednesday and Thursday off, I would just talk to my manager and arrange it without and problems.  I earn PTO every two weeks and I receive paid holidays.  I do have a set schedule.  I am required to wear business attire and Fridays are our business casual days and we are able to wear jeans but we still have to wear MACU clothing.  They do give us a yearly credit to use towards our MACU clothing.


I really enjoyed doing this job shadow.  It did remind me a lot of my previous job working in customer service.  I have thought about getting a part time job at a bank and this really helped me see another side of things.  Although I can’t say for certain that I would want to go into this industry for a long term commitment, it was neat.  My sister really enjoys what she does, I have heard for years how much she loves it and it was nice to see her in action!  I do love working with the public and would be happy most anywhere I am helping others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment